24 February 2016

Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions

The powder coat trip was a success.  I dropped off four crates of parts along with four black pulley shrouds (one of which isn't mine).  I'm down to wheels, control arms, the rear hinge cover and the seat bases (which will need work before they're powder coated) that will need to be powder coated.  After that, I think I'm done with powder coating...then I get to move on to painting the front beam, pan, rear subframe, and torsion spring plates.  Once those are done, I can begin the assembly process (*finally!*).

I found some NOS German tie rod ends so I bought all four sets.  I'll need two sets, I know of at least one other Type 3 owner that'll use a set and I'll either have a spare set or I'll sell them off as well.  I'm trying to both capitalize on the parts that I find and share the wealth.  This allows me to get the 'thrill of the chase' and prevent me from growing my stockpile of parts.

I've put 'feelers' out there for the rear drums...and if I'm lucky, they'll pop up somewhere.  I plan to focus on getting the pan completed, then worry about the body...which may open up a can of worms, depending on how much progress is required to get it completed.

So, out in the field is the pile of powder coating parts, the carbs that are being rebuilt, the parts at Redi Strip and grumblings of more NOS parts creeping toward me in a couple of weeks...I think the hinges that I wanted to get my hands on have found me.  I'm waiting for pictures to confirm they're correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment