18 February 2016

The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision.

I'm in a holding pattern until the stuff comes back from RediStrip in April...most of the parts I wanted to get rid of are gone - there are a few stragglers but I'll likely wind up scrapping them in a few weeks.

So I've been 'planning'  and I think the next course of action is to ensure I have all of the pieces for the front beam and the rear subframe.

Here's where I'm at as of today:

Front beam:
  • Front beam with bushings/bearings (either at RediStrip or source another one)
  • Tie rods (to be painted/powder coated)
  • Tie rod ends (have the inner left, does that count?)
  • Steering box w/ground wire
  • Steering damper
  • Ball joints
  • Bearings
  • Spindles
  • Brakes (highly likely to be CSP)
  • Rotor (will come with brakes)
  • Brake hoses
  • Bushings to body (top)
  • Shocks
  • Wheels (need to be finished)
  • Tires
  • Rubber collars
  • Clamp pieces/hardware
  • Clips, clamps, etc.
Rear subframe:
  • Rear subframe (at RediStrip)
  • Spring plates (at RediStrip)
  • Spring plate covers/hardware
  • Spring plate bushings
  • Shocks
  • Transmission w/axles and backing plates
  • Transmission carrier
  • Transmission mounts (2 rear, 1 front)
  • Rear brakes (drums, shoes, hardware)
  • Brake lines (hard and soft)
  • Parking brake cables (311 609 721 A)
  • Wheels (need to be finished)
  • Tires
Now, to stay focused on the task at hand...anything that's not covered by either being at RediStrip or on hand means that I should start looking to source it so that I can get it together and be ready to move to the next step.

Looks like I can build up the front beam until I reach the brakes...which is fine because it'll be plenty heavy without them - I'd prefer to add brakes and rotors once the beam is mounted to the pan.

The rear subframe can be built all the way to brakes.  I'm hoping to have talked myself into putting rear discs (read: I have installed them) on Nigel so that I can swap all of those brake parts to Ferris.  If not, I'll have to find drums that don't suck and buy brake shoes.  I've got extra rear wheel cylinders and hardware.  The more money that goes out, the harder that decision gets...so I might wind up having to find drums.  Spending the coin on CSP front discs is going to be enough cash outlay, really.

Brakes, tires, then mate up with the pan and engine...seems simple enough, huh?  It would be huge if I actually get the pan back on tires with a functional engine/trans/brakes, although storing it until the body is done may pose a challenge.

I'll worry about that when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment