09 December 2014

Slow progress but it's still moving forward

 I bought a muffler hardware install kit on eBay which arrived yesterday along with the heater boxes.  I decided to do a dry run/mock up of the exhaust to make sure I have all of the correct pieces and that everything fits together properly before I send it out for powder coating.  Good news is that I actually have all of the parts and it all fits.
 One more view of the exhaust installation.

I've got the plug wires, coil, distributor, fuel lines and air cleaner to go...all things I can do piece by piece when I have more time.

The generator belt needs to be installed as well.
 Still a few pieces missing but it's going to come together nicely.

I noticed that the tins are going to need to be stripped, fixed and powder coated again.  There are some unfortunate dents in both sides that need to be fixed for everything to line up correctly.

This is why I do a mock up...it would really suck to get it all powder coated and find out that something needs to be repaired after the fact.
A little damage sustained due to the seller being not good at packing items for shipment.

I've got a few sets of these wraps so I think I'll be able to come up with a complete/good set for the final mock up of the engine.
 Something's amiss here...

It's the heater box on the right.  It's for a later car as evidenced by the mounting plate to the engine tin which should be like the one on the left.  I bought them anyway because they're clean and in good shape.  I have a NOS box to replace the one with the late bracket.
Very clean and intact although a bit dirty.  They bolted right up to the engine.

I pulled three more heater boxes off the shelves in the garage and will put them up for adoption by the local scrap guy.  I've now got a complete shelf cleared of parts.  I consider it a minor victory.
 The next two photos are of suspension component bolts I spent way too much time cleaning up.  They're original and I found a little satisfaction in bringing them back from the dead.

I was able to donate several corroded bolts to the local scrap guy's bin as well.

It's getting down to the 'relevant' parts which is making it easier to focus on the things that should really get my attention.

Yep, more bolts and some ball joint nuts/washers.

These are the front spindle bolts that are usually mangled to death and have crushed threads.  I've kept every one of these I find.  After the clean up, I wound up tossing what amounted to a complete set due to corrosion on the bolt body...still have plenty to last a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment