12 April 2014

tick tock goes the clock, the wait has gone away...

Well, it finally arrived...1964 Variant S in almost completely original condition.  I know a few things have been changed on it but the car is pretty darn close to bone stock.  A rolling project vs. the non rolling project that's currently underway.

I've put about 5 miles on the car so far.  I was elbow deep in house projects when the driver called me.  He told me I'd have to meet him a few blocks away because he didn't think he'd make it down my street.  I wanted to video the car being unloaded but decided against it since the unload wound up happening in the middle of a 4 lane state road with moderate traffic.

A few observations thus far:

It's still got the original Z-arm accelerator pedal system.  I'd forgotten how much I loathe that system.  I have a super nice, rebuilt pedal assembly that I'm planning to install once I figure out how to remove the rubber floor mat without damaging it.  Step 1: Wait for warmer weather.

The rear bumper isn't mounted because the rear apron is bent up from engine removal and the now non-stock exhaust that makes the car sound like an angry lawnmower.  I might try my hand at bending it back into shape knowing that my back up plan is to get the rear apron off of Icarus (also a Ruby Red car).

The car starts right up and doesn't diesel when shut off.  It's running a little rich and the timing is a touch off of perfect but it's a strong engine.  2nd gear and I were not getting along, although the pedal assembly was such a distraction that it might have been me-not the transmission.  I'll know once I swap out the pedals.

I'll take more photos and post up observations over the next few days/weeks.  This car will be kept together/functional and I'll work on it while I drive it.  Fortunately, I have enough parts to swap out large sections at a time - entire rear subframe and transmission/engine, if needed, or the front beam.

I ordered window seals as those on the car are dry rotten.  I'm sure that'll just be the start of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment